Friday, July 13, 2012

Lofoten/Tusen Takk, Norge

It feels weird; I am sitting in Canada writing this blog post. This ultimately means my journey to Norway has now been completed. I am combining my last trip in Norway, as well as giving some much needed thanks to all of those who made my travels and experience in Norway/Europe amazing.
 
My final journey while in Norway was to Lofoten Norway. This is arguably the most popular destination for tourist, and I can see why. The place is absolute paradise. The mountains and the scenery is absolutely breath taking. Norway in general is beautiful to visit regardless of where you are, but this place is jaw dropping. My friend Remi and his family have a camp ground there, so it made accommodations extremely easy, and once again it is always beneficial to know a local. He was an absolute great guide, and it was an enjoyable relaxing 3 days. The first day we got there, relaxed and then went out on the boat to look for puffins. It was great, because we actually found one. We also got to take in the midnight sun. The second day we went to a caving, and fishing which was a great adventure. The third day he took us and saw some more sights, and then we went for a hike up a local mountain in Svolvaer. That was also a great experience, because the view is beautiful from the ground, but was absolutely breath taking from the top of the mountain. It was really a great trip, as I was exhausted from all my travels. I would like to give Remi a huge thank you for accommodating and driving us everywhere to ensure we had a great trip. Here are a few pictures from the trip.


Interesting rocks just off the coast

Nik and I on the beach - Midnight Sun


Some local mountains

Outside after caving

Midnight sun

View from halfway up

View looking down from the top

At the top - I was really tired


Finally, it is time to give some thanks to people who made my trip in Norway amazing.



1) I would like to thank Harstad University College for everything they did for me. From the grant, to all the help I had getting housing and the papers  that I needed for my residence permit, their services were exceptional. It made getting to Norway and my experience stress free. I would also like to thank all of the staff who ensured that I had a placement, and for being an exceptional resource for any issues I had.



2) I would like to thank the international office at Minot State University for ultimately accepting me for the exchange, and ensuring that everything was done prior to me leaving. I was extremely nervous about the pre departure process, as I have never actually even been over seas before. They helped me through the steps, and I am thankful for that. You were truly a wealth of knowledge.



3) Stagnes 8-13, my field work placement. This was the absolute best placement that someone could wish for while in Norway. How accepting, friendly, and knowledgeable everyone was towards me was everything a person could ask for. The staff was friendly, and accommodating, and the students were exciting, fun and full of energy. Thank you all for accepting me with open arms.



4) The international community at Harstad University College. I will never forget the memories that were created with all of you. From the many adventures we had from horse sledging to times where we simply sad around drinking tea, I will embrace all of these memories. I will never forget any of you, and you all really helped shape me as a person. I couldn't ask for a better crew and the cultural experience I learned from you all.



5) I would like to thank the people of Norway. I came to a country not knowing what to expect, and ultimately I fell in love with the country and people of Norway. You were all so helpful, friendly, informative, accepting, and as a tourist, I couldn't ask for anything more. I met so many great friends from the university, my field placement; to random people I met along the way. In many instances, you invited me to visit you from your home towns, and taught me so much about the Norwegian Culture. I will sincerely miss you all so much, and leaving Norway was one of the hardest things I have had to do in my life. I left a completely different person, and that change was for the best. I cannot thank you all enough.



6) I would also like to take this time to thank everyone who followed my blog. It was gratifying to hear that so many people enjoyed following my experience abroad, and I hope that I may have even inspired some people to study abroad.



So many of you who followed my blog, may be wondering what is next for me. I have graduated, and am technically am back in Canada unemployed. I have a knee that needs to be operated on, and I am waiting to figure out when my surgery on that will be. If it is right away, I will postpone finding a job, and get surgery. The doctor figures I will be out for 6-8 weeks before I can start physiotherapy. After that is done, I will find a job and work as hard as I can, with the goal of returning to Norway to take a 1 year language class then work in Norway. Ultimately, my goal is to work in Norway, but if for some reason that doesn't work out, the goal would be to work in Europe. After touring and travelling Europe, the European life style is something I definitely feel suits me. That is all for now

1 comment:

  1. Naaaw, this blog post almost made me teary-eyed. Such nice words :)
    Good luck with the operation and finding a job, and hopefully we'll meet again :)

    ReplyDelete